Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hollaback Girl, I ain't.

I have a bit of pent up...anger, if you will, that I will share today. I don't like to gripe and complain (on the internet) about my life and job and such but today I am making an exception. 

I currently HATE my job. 
I work in the Engineering Department and there is nothing wrong with the department....necessarily.
Except I feel like this:


(I use a lot of Friends references)
Whatever do I mean? I mean I feel like the lady lying on the couch and everyone telling me that I'm unhappy because I wanta dinkle. You see I work in a department of ALL guys and I work in a basement by myself all day erry day. My interactions with humans face to face is limited to 99% of the time just these... "men". 

And then something happens to change that all. 

It happened one day while I was sitting at my desk...working...or something. Anyway, one of the guys comes in and needs help with something AGAIN. I have shown him no less than 50 times in the past two weeks, and that is no exaggeration! I try to breathe calmly so I don't lose my temper and our conversation goes like this:

Me: Ok, well show me what work orders it is and I'll pull them up on my computer and see what's up.

Him (edging closer and closer): Ok, #3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,..........20, 21
[that was slightly exaggerating: it is usually only about 5. A day.]

Me: Ok, I don't see anything wrong with them. What is it showing on your iPod?

Him (suddenly breathing down my neck): Well, look! I can't find them. And I swear I didn't do anything to them. They should be here. See look I have a list with the numbers that should be here. Look. 

Me: Yeah, I see it (straining my eyes to see it from 3 inches in front of my nose) I also am showing that there is nothing wrong with any of them on the computer. Try to hotsync it again and maybe they'll show. 

Him: Well, there is something wrong! They aren't here! LOOK.

Me: Yeah, I looked, I'm sorry they aren't there. Try to hotsync again and maybe then they'll show. 

Him: Well, this stupid thing is just broken. 

Me: Ok, I'm sorry I can't come up with any other solutions so maybe if you just can hotsync again and then we can see. You do have over a hundred work orders on there so it might just have gotten lost in the mix.

Him: (Gives me a dirty look and says, "Hey! Can you help me?" to our boss as he walks in)

Me: (in my head) Awesome now I look incompetent. 

Our Boss: Well, maybe try hotsyncing and it might work. 

Him: Ok, I'll give that a try. Hopefully it works. I asked Chelsea and she said she didn't know. 

My face was probably purple at this point but I swallowed my pride and didn't say anything. Until...

The next day:

The scene--I'm at my desk and ANOTHER employee walks in.
Him: Hey, Boss not in? 
Me: No, not yet, sorry. Can I help you?
Him: Oh, nah. (Starts to walk off and pauses) So, uh, I heard you had a talk with So and So yesterday....He told me and the guys about it.
[remember the AND THE GUYS part]

Me: I did? Oh, well he had some work order problems but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. 

Him: He said you accused him of not doing his work and attacked him for the number of work orders he had. 

[klajsdofinadlgauogtinasdlfiualfdkgnads HUH?]

Him: Anyway, I was just thinking that you could, I don't know, maybe be a little nicer to him and tell him what a good job he does so he doesn't feel so down. 

This is what happened next:

Maybe I sound like a baby when I say this, but after TWO FREAKING DAYS of guys (all OVER the age of 40) coming to tell me that all these other guys were complaining and trash talking me I finally went to my Boss. 

And now, I sit in my office all day alone. And never see anyone. Which I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing. 
What is not good is that I'm "On Probation" because I've had to miss on average 2 days a pay period because of fibro flare days....

But let it be known. I ain't no hollaback girl! And if I weren't on probation I probably would have had some choice words with my 12 year old girl coworkers. 

1 comment:

  1. GRRRR.

    That's the semi-plus of education. There are so many women in it that the men know that we know what's up.

    ReplyDelete