Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I am a Patriot

Patriot
1.  A person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.
2.  A person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.
Origin:
1590–1600; < Middle French patriote < Late Latin patriōta < Greek patriṓtēs fellow-countryman, lineage member


I define myself as a patriot. I love, support, and will defend this great country. 
I believe in the individual rights that our forefathers fought for. 
I have very strong opinions, values, and views. 
Much of this is in part to how and where I was raised, 
but I also know that I have developed these values through my own personal compass of right and wrong; 
it has come from figuring out who I am and what aligns with how I feel. 

Today, I felt my heart bursting with patriotism. As we drive into work every day, we are at a high enough elevation that not only do we have a gorgeous view, but we can tune into a radio station from Colorado. On days when I am too sick to get out of bed, Riker drives to work alone and a LOT earlier than when he has to wait for me so he already knew this little secret, but that radio station plays the National Anthem EVERY SINGLE MORNING. This morning it was sung by LeAnn Rimes. I have to say, though, I don't care who sings it, it brings me such joy to hear. What made it especially wonderful today was the drive.

I can't describe what it felt like to see the passing open fields with their wheel lines going, cows grazing, horses running, and the sun rising over the beautiful red rock that surrounds our little basin. I believe in this country. I believe in our military, in the Constitution, in standing up for what is right, in God, in our Freedom. I honor those that fought for us to be free, for those that are still fighting and for those that will come after whose duty it is to uphold what has been fought hard for and earned. 

I may not agree with a lot of people but that is their right and I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say I support their rights, too. We may all have different opinions, but one thing we should agree on is this country. It is great, it is strong, it is freedom. We all have a duty to hold those who represent us to a higher standard because that is what this country was founded on. Higher standards. 

I am proud to be American. I am proud of my husband who will one day serve, to my grandfathers, great grandfathers, cousins, uncles, aunts, friends, and foes who have or are serving. It is my hope that one day I will be able to instill in my children the love and respect I feel for the military and for this country. I do not agree with many of the things that our current administration has done, is doing, or plans to do. I do however support our government system. It was set up by inspired men and it is in each of us to be able to continue this great tradition.

Now, let me climb off my soapbox and just have you look at some pictures and think of the wonderful place this is. (photos are all mine) 

Provo, Utah

Lakeview, Oregon

Lakeview (Westside), Oregon

Near the Oregon/Nevada border

Overlooking Lakeview, Oregon

Neola, Utah


Neola, Utah

Neola, Utah

We are lucky, lucky people.

No comments:

Post a Comment